03 July, 2012

Syria, Oh Syria!

My heart is breaking. Hearing, reading, and watching what is happening in Syria would break my heart if it were anywhere else in the world, but it is especially heart wrenching for me because of my personal connection with Syria (involving my studies). I don't have many words to express the despondency I feel over the pain and suffering throughout Syria.
This week, Human Rights Watch released a report on the overwhelming number of torture centers operating throughout Syria--a total of 27 known facilities. One report by CNN states that an activist group in Syria has "collected names of 25,000 people in detention," which means that as many as that may be undergoing torture. That number, of course, does not include the thousands that have been killed by military violence or executed by the Syrian government in the last 15 months.
Below is a report by Ole Solvang, a Human Rights Watch researcher, on the torture centers. Below that is a map that will link you to the summary of the Human Rights Watch report. If you wish to donate to humanitarian aid efforts to Syrians who have fled to the local countries of Turkey, Lebanon, and Jordan, CLICK HERE!
If you wish to embed this feature on your website, please click here and follow the instructions.




   

       

   


No comments:

Post a Comment